Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ASK MISS MAISY: "Hair Gel = Fist Pump?"

I received this from a reader, just a few days ago. A valid question, especially in light of MTV's Jersey Shore's recent popularity.

~~~
What is Miss Maisy's take on hair gel for guys?

- Ken (San Francisco)

~~~

Dear Ken,

You may be surprised to learn that I get this question from a large number of men ... and even women asking on behalf of their brothers, boyfriends, or husbands.

First, we need to address your word-choice. "Gel" is a bit off-putting, and could scare many men and women, currently not residing in Jersey (no offense to that great state), away from the idea as a whole. I suggest that you start by considering "hair product" for guys. "Product" encapsulates everything from hair cream, to gel, to spray.

Here is where it gets complicated. My thoughts (on men's hair products) depend on both the product and the man. Really, this is the same issue we women face as well. If you are one of those obnoxiously perfect men, who manage to always have good hair days, well then I say NO WAY. Let those lushes locks lie product-free! However, many men deal with curls and frizz, or just general unruliness, in which case I recommend that you start with a lighter hair cream. If you are a novice, Ken, I would recommend starting with Fresh's Sake Hair Cream. (www.fresh.com/haircare/all-haircare/sake-hair-cream)

Don't worry, despite the name, you won't end up smelling like a karaoke bar at 2 a.m., nor will you look anything remotely like Mike "The Situation." Just try using a dime-size drop, rub your hands together, and work your magic on that unmanageable mane. Chances are, your girlfriend or wife will not only love the smell, she will want to borrow this gender-neutral product (you don't have to tell a soul, and your masculinity will remain full intact - I promise!). I am also a bit of a snob here - you don't need to spend beaucoup bucks, HOWEVER, I have often found that the $1.00 drug store pomade does not do your hair justice. You pay for what you get, I suppose.

Now, despite my seemingly open-minded nature, I want to leave you with one more vocabulary term, that is extremely important to know, as you make your entree into the hair product world: MODERATION. Excess of anything is often bad for you, and hair product is no exception. No one wants to saddle up next to the porcupine at the bar. Go easy & avoid cheesy.

Good Luck, Ken from San Fran -
Maisy

No comments: